Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed 2 limes, juice only
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoons brown sugar 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ cup unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 200g green papaya, peeled and grated
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- ½ cup mint leaves, torn
- ½ cup basil leaves, torn
- Heat oil in a frypan, saute onion and garlic until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl combine lime juice, salt, brown sugar, soy sauce an/J half the peanuts. Mix dressing with papaya and carrot allowing the papaya to soften.
- Mix half the mint and basil into the onion mixture.
- To serve, place papaya mix in a bowl, top with the onion and herb mix, the_n sprinkle the remaining mint, basil and nuts over the salad.
Per Serve: 500 kilojoules (125 calories). Protein4g. Total Fat 9g. Saturated Fat lg. Carbohydrate 5g. Total Sugars 4g. Sodium 520mg. Potassium 200mg. Calcium 40mg. Iron 0.8mg. Fibre 3g.
TIP: Green papaya is available in supermarkets and green ·grocers regularly throughout the year.
If you can’t find green papaya, use ttlinly sliced Chinese cabbage (known as wong buk), or regular green cabbage, available in the supermarket year round.
The Sanitarium Nutrition Service has a FREE Recipe of the Week email service: to join visit website